Creamy Mushroom Soup
Serves: 6 to 8
Marie says, “This soup is my personal answer to canned cream of mushroom soup. It’s an elegant first course or a base in recipes using cream of mushroom soup. I also make this without tofu as a base for risotto.” For those who are soy sensitive, substitute 8 ounces of heavy cream for the tofu.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil Add to list
- 1 large onion, finely chopped Add to list
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1/2 pound fresh crimini mushrooms, coarsely chopped Add to list
- 2 to 3 stalks celery, finely chopped Add to list
- 1 ounce dried mushrooms, such as porcini and shiitake Add to list
- 1 cup dry red wine Add to list
- 4 cups mushroom broth Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon sea kelp powder (optional, but it adds a delicious flavor and minerals) Add to list
- 1 pound silken tofu Add to list
- 1 bay leaf Add to list
- A few sprigs fresh thyme Add to list
- Fresh lemon juice Add to list
Add olive oil to a large skillet. Sauté onions and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes. Add fresh crimini mushrooms and celery and sauté until mushrooms are quite soft.
Rehydrate dried mushrooms in 1 cup boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove mushrooms and chop, reserving liquid for the soup. (Strain out any sandy sediment.)
Deglaze pan with red wine. Add chopped rehydrated mushrooms and soaking liquid, and cook down for 5 minutes.
Blend together mushroom broth, sea kelp powder and tofu. Add, with bay leaf, to cooked mushrooms and allow flavors to marry, 15 to 20 minutes.
Remove bay leaf before serving, and add fresh thyme and a squeeze of lemon juice.
This soup freezes well without the tofu.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor