Creamy Ham Alfredo with Spring Veggies
Make a spring pasta dish of peas, asparagus and ham, tossed in a light cream sauce. Serve with a side salad and you have a complete meal that comes together lickety-split.
- 1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti or linguine pasta Add to list
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends removed and stalks cut into 1/2-inch pieces Add to list
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas Add to list
- 2 tablespoons butter Add to list
- 1 shallot, sliced Add to list
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour Add to list
- 2 cups milk Add to list
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus additional for garnish Add to list
- 1 cup diced cooked ham Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley Add to list
Cook pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water, until al dente, according to package directions. Add the asparagus and peas during the last 3 minutes of cooking time. Drain and rinse briefly under cool water. Set aside.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour to create a thick paste. Slowly whisk the milk in to the flour mixture in a steady stream. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, to thicken sauce. Whisk in Parmesan cheese until sauce is thick and creamy. Stir in cooked ham; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Add reserved pasta, asparagus and peas. Gently mix to coat pasta in sauce and heat through. Divide pasta between four bowls and top with parsley and Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »