Creamy Carrot and Coconut Milk Soup with Red Curry
Serves: 4 to 6
This soup is gorgeous with the sweet flavor of carrots from the Dungeness River Delta. Thai curries are chile paste blends so their flavors are complex and spicy. Use a little or a lot depending on your style.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 4 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth Add to list
- 7 to 8 carrots, scrubbed and sliced Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon Thai Kitchen red curry paste Add to list
- 1/4 cup Thai Kitchen sweet chili sauce Add to list
- 1/4 cup tamari Add to list
- Freshly ground black pepper Add to list
- 1 cup canned coconut milk Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro Add to list
- Squeeze of fresh lime juice Add to list
In a heavy soup pot, heat oil over medium heat and sauté garlic and ginger for 1 minute. Add broth and carrots and simmer until carrots are tender (about 15 minutes). Allow to cool slightly and then puree mixture in batches in a blender or food processor. (You may also use an immersion blender directly in the pot.)
Return pureed carrot mixture to the pot. Add curry paste, chili sauce, tamari and black pepper and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir in coconut milk, cilantro and lime juice. Adjust seasonings with more curry paste or tamari.
Serve drizzled with a bit of coconut milk and lime wedges on the side.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: PCC Fresh, August 2008
ABOUT OUR CHEF: Lynne Vea
Lynne Vea is a graduate of the Executive Chef Program at Le Cordon Bleu, Paris and has been cooking with PCC Natural Markets since 2001. Featured on King-5’s "Gardening with Ciscoe," she demonstrates easy and delicious recipes using seasonal ingredients.
Lynne is an admired PCC Cooks instructor, teaching a variety of popular PCC Cooks classes throughout the year.
She loves to collect old cookbooks, hunt for wild berries, and cook seven-course dinners where the guests are encouraged to dance and cavort between courses.
Find more recipes from Lynne.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »