Creamy Bisque of Roasted Red Garnet Yams
Sweet potatoes get their place in the spotlight with this beautiful, sumptuous soup.
- 6 medium red garnet yams, scrubbed Add to list
- 1 pound organic silken or soft tofu, drained Add to list
- 1 to 4 tablespoons white miso Add to list
- 4 to 6 cups hot water, as necessary to thin bisque Add to list
- 1 onion, peeled and diced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon unrefined sesame oil Add to list
- 1/3 cup golden sherry Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seeds Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste Add to list
- Freshly ground white pepper to taste Add to list
Preheat oven to 375° F. Using a fork or a paring knife, poke a few holes in each yam, so the steam can escape while cooking. Roast yams on a baking sheet until very soft, 45 to 60 minutes. Allow to cool until you can handle them comfortably. Scoop out approximately 5 to 6 cups of pulp.
Purée yam pulp in a food processor, along with crumbled tofu, miso and water. Process until completely smooth and silky.
Sauté onion in oil in a large pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and golden. Deglaze pan with sherry, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the puréed yam mixture and slowly reheat for 10 to 15 minutes, until warmed through.
In the final 2 minutes of cooking, add nutmeg, ground coriander seeds, salt if needed, and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings. When serving, garnish with additional grated nutmeg.
Recipe by, former PCC Nutrition Education Manager
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »