Cream of Broccoli Soup
Both broccoli florets and stems are full of nutrition. This soup is a great way to use the entire head of the cruciferous superfood.
- 4 cups broccoli florets and trimmed stems Add to list
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter Add to list
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped Add to list
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
- 1/3 cup unbleached flour Add to list
- 2 cups whole or 2% milk Add to list
- 4 cups vegetable stock Add to list
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese Add to list
Steam broccoli florets and stems in a pot until soft, 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside.
In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Sauté onions, marjoram, salt and pepper until slightly caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add flour to make a roux. Sauté until the flour is evenly combined and slightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add milk and stock. Mix well and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer until soup thickens. Add steamed broccoli and turn off heat.
Place soup in a blender or food processor and blend until the desired consistency is achieved. Pour soup back into the pot and add cheese, mixing until cheese is melted.
Each serving: 310cal, 20g fat (12g sat), 60mg chol, 880mg sodium, 18g carb, 3g fiber, 15g protein