Cranberry Harvest Tart
Serves: 6 to 8
- 3/4 cup unbleached white flour Add to list
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour Add to list
- 11 tablespoons butter, divided Add to list
- 2 tablespoons honey Add to list
- 1 tablespoon ice water Add to list
- 3 large eggs, beaten Add to list
- 1 cup honey Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange peel Add to list
- 1 1/3 cup chopped cranberries (see note) Add to list
- 1 1/3 cup chopped walnuts Add to list
Combine flours in a large mixing bowl. Cut in 7 tablespoons chilled butter until mixture resembles texture of cornmeal. Blend in honey and ice water water. Form dough into a ball, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375° F.
Roll dough out on floured surface and fit into a 10-inch tart pan. Cover dough with aluminum foil and place pie weights on top. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and weights and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until crust is golden. Place on a rack to cool.
Reduce oven temperature to 350° F.
Combine eggs, honey, 4 tablespoons melted butter, salt and orange peel. Stir in cranberries and walnuts. Pour filling into cooled crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
Let tart cool for 1 hour before serving. Garnish with whipped cream and a few fresh cranberries.
If you have a food processor, it will make quick work of coarsely chopping the cranberries.
Source: Sound Consumer November 2003