Cranberry and Apple Betty with Hard Sauce
- 2 cups butter, divided, plus extra for pan Add to list
- 4 Golden Delicious, Fuji or Granny Smith apples - peeled, quartered, cored and thickly sliced Add to list
- Zest of 1 lemon Add to list
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh cranberries, divided Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar Add to list
- 3/4 cup rolled oats Add to list
- 3/4 cup unbleached flour Add to list
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter Add to list
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar Add to list
- 2 tablespoons cognac, brandy or whiskey Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract Add to list
Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a 9-inch square baking dish. Place apples and lemon zest in the dish and set aside.
Combine 3/4 pound cranberries with granulated sugar in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until cranberries begin to pop. Remove from the heat and pour over sliced apples and lemon zest. Blend gently with a wooden spoon.
Combine oats, flour and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Cut 1/2 cup butter into the mixture using two forks, a pastry cutter or your fingers. The mixture should resemble pea-sized pieces. Toss in remaining 3/4 pound cranberries. Sprinkle on top of the filling.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until topping is browned and filling is bubbling. Remove and allow to cool until slightly warm.
Cream remaining 1 1/2 cups butter and confectioners' sugar in an electric mixing bowl on medium speed. Add liquor and vanilla. Blend thoroughly. Keep at room temperature, covered, until ready to use.
Source: Sound Consumer October 2002