Cranberry & Apple Betty with Hard Sauce
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh cranberries Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups Florida Crystals Add to list
- Zest of 1 organic lemon Add to list
- 4 organic, Golden Delicious, Fuji or Granny Smith apples; peeled, quartered, cored and thickly sliced Add to list
- 3/4 cup organic rolled oats Add to list
- 3/4 cup organic, unbleached flour Add to list
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar Add to list
- 1/2 cup organic butter Add to list
Hard Sauce - Makes approximately 1 cup
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Butter a glass or other oven-safe baking dish. Place about half of the cranberries and the Florida Crystals in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until the cranberries begin to pop. Remove from heat and pour over the sliced apples and lemon zest. Combine gently and pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
Combine the oats, flour and brown sugar. Cut the butter into the mixture using two forks, a pastry cutter or your fingers. The mixture should resemble pea-sized pieces. Toss in the remaining cranberries, sprinkle over the apple mixture and place in the preheated oven.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the topping is browned and the apple mixture is bubbling. Remove and allow to cool until slightly warm.
Serve with Hard Sauce or whipped cream flavored with ginger or cinnamon.
Cream the butter with the sugar in an electric mixing bowl on medium speed. Add the liquor and vanilla. Blend thoroughly. Keep at room temperature, covered, until ready to use.
Source: Sound Consumer October 2002