Cozy Beef Bourguignon
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1/4 pound bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces Add to list
- 2 pounds chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes Add to list
- 1/3 cup flour Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1 onion, sliced Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme Add to list
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste Add to list
- 3 cups red wine Add to list
- 2 bay leaves Add to list
- 2 cups chicken or beef broth Add to list
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices Add to list
- 1 pound mushrooms, stems removed and caps quartered Add to list
- 1 pound peeled pearl onions Add to list
Sauté bacon in a heavy pot over medium-high heat until brown and crisp, about 8 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate. Pat beef dry and season generously with salt and pepper; coat with flour. Brown beef in bacon fat, working in batches to avoid overcrowding, 2 to 3 minutes per batch. Remove beef with a slotted spoon to a plate.
Add onion to the pot and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and thyme, cooking for 1 minute; stir in tomato paste. Return bacon and beef to the pot. Add wine, bay leaves and enough stock to cover. Bring to a boil, cover and cook over a low simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
Stir in carrots, mushrooms and pearl onions. Continue cooking until beef and vegetables are tender, another 30 to 45 minutes. Season to taste and serve.
Each serving: 550 cal, 29g fat (11g sat), 120mg chol, 330mg sodium, 22g carb, 3g fiber, 39g protein
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »