Cornmeal Crust Pizza with Black Bean Hummus
Yield: 1 (9-inch) pizza
Note: Special coupon offer has ended.
Our PCC Deli Black Bean Hummus is made from scratch using delicious ingredients like healthy black beans, sesame tahini, tamari and balsamic vinegar. The flavor is complex and zesty and makes the perfect base for these incredibly simple and nutrient-rich pizzas.
The combination of spicy chèvre and nutty Manchego is perfect with the caramelized shallots and the sweet bits of dried mango. Our Vicolo pizza crusts were developed in the kitchen of a neighborhood restaurant in San Francisco by the same name and are still made to traditional standards.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil Add to list
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1 cornmeal pizza crust (available in the freezer department at PCC) Add to list
- 1/3 cup PCC Deli Black Bean Hummus Add to list
- 2 to 3 leaves lacinato or curly kale, stems removed and leaves coarsely chopped Add to list
- 1/4 cup crumbled chèvre cheese Add to list
- 1/2 cup grated Manchego cheese (or your favorite melty pizza cheese) Add to list
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dried mangoes (or substitute fresh) Add to list
- 2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds Add to list
- Whole sprigs of fresh cilantro, for garnish Add to list
- Lime wedges and hot sauce, for serving Add to list
Preheat oven to 425° F.
In a small sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat and cook shallots, stirring frequently, until deep golden, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Place pizza crust on a baking sheet and spread hummus evenly over the surface. Distribute shallots and kale over the hummus. Top with all but a few tablespoons of the cheeses. Sprinkle with mango and pumpkin seeds and scatter the last of the cheeses evenly over the surface.
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Garnish with fresh cilantro sprigs and serve with lime wedges and your favorite hot sauce.
Another fun topping combination
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "New Day Northwest" show, which aired January 23, 2012.
ABOUT OUR CHEF: Lynne Vea
Lynne Vea is a graduate of the Executive Chef Program at Le Cordon Bleu, Paris and has been cooking with PCC Natural Markets since 2001. Featured on King-5’s "Gardening with Ciscoe," she demonstrates easy and delicious recipes using seasonal ingredients.
Lynne is an admired PCC Cooks instructor, teaching a variety of popular PCC Cooks classes throughout the year.
She loves to collect old cookbooks, hunt for wild berries, and cook seven-course dinners where the guests are encouraged to dance and cavort between courses.
Find more recipes from Lynne.