Connemara Tart (Ireland)
- 1 cup unbleached flour Add to list
- 1/2 cup sugar Add to list
- 2 large apples (or more) Add to list
- 1 egg, beaten Add to list
- 2 tablespoons butter Add to list
- 1/4 cup milk Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger Add to list
For the top:
Sift flour, ginger, salt and sugar. Cut in the butter. Add milk and eggs to make a soft dough.
Roll out on a floured board. Line a greased 9-inch pie dish with the pastry.
Grate the apples onto the pastry; the grated apples should fill the crust.
Dot with more butter. Sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg over the top. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Serve hot with cream or custard.
Variations: Spread a thin layer of orange marmalade over the pastry before adding filling. Try adding chopped crystallized ginger to the grated apples.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »