- 1 cup unbleached flour Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger Add to list
- 1/2 cup sugar Add to list
- 2 tablespoons cold butter Add to list
- 1/4 cup milk Add to list
- 1 egg, beaten Add to list
- 2 to 3 large apples, peeled and grated Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg Add to list
- Heavy cream, for garnish (optional) Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter a 9-inch pie dish and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, salt and sugar. Cut in the butter until flour mixure looks coarse, like cornmeal. Gently stir in milk and eggs to make a soft dough.
Roll out on a floured board. Line the prepared pie dish with the pastry. Top the pastry with grated apples; the total amount should fill the crust.
Dot with more butter. Sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg over the top. Bake 30 minutes, until golden. Serve hot, drizzled with cream if desired.
Recipe by, Founder, PCC Farmland Trust