Congee Rice Porridge Soup
Congee is easy to make in a slow cooker. Put the soup together before going to bed and wake up to this satisfying porridge. You can also put it together before going to work and the soup will be ready when you come home.
- 3/4 cup long grain rice Add to list
- 9 cups water or stock Add to list
- 1 (4-inch) piece kombu seaweed Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken breast Add to list
- 4 eggs Add to list
- 2 scallions, chopped Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ume plum vinegar, or to taste Add to list
- Sauteéd mushrooms (optional) Add to list
Place rice, water, kombu and salt in a 3-quart soup pot or slow cooker. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to a very slow simmer and cook for at least 3 hours or up to 8 hours. Add additional liquid if necessary.
Prior to serving, remove kombu, add chicken and crack the eggs onto the top of the congee. Do not stir the eggs in. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, or until eggs have cooked to desired doneness. Garnish with scallions, ume plum vinegar and mushrooms.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor