Congee Rice Porridge Soup
According to Chinese medicine, simmering this soup for three hours balances the yin and yang of each ingredient, making it highly medicinal and easy to assimilate.
Congee is easy to make in a slow cooker. Put the soup together before going to bed and wake up to this satisfying porridge. You can also put it together before going to work and the soup will be ready when you come home.
- 3/4 cup long grain rice Add to list
- 9 cups water or stock Add to list
- 1 4-inch piece kombu seaweed Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken breast Add to list
- 4 eggs Add to list
- 2 scallions, chopped Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ume plum vinegar (or to taste) Add to list
- Optional addition: sauteéd mushrooms Add to list
Place rice, water, kombu and salt in a 3-quart soup pot or slow cooker. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to very slow simmer and cook for at least 3 hours or up to 8 hours. Add additional liquid if necessary.
Prior to serving, remove the kombu, add the chicken and crack the eggs onto the top of the congee. Do not stir the egg in. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, or until the eggs have cooked to desired doneness. Garnish with scallions, ume plum vinegar and optional mushrooms.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Sound Consumer, March 2011
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »