Yield: 36 cookies
- 2 cups dried, finely shredded coconut Add to list
- 1/3 cup light honey (or use variations - see "Notes") Add to list
- 3 egg whites (or powdered Ener-G Egg Replacer, according to package instructions) Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon each vanilla and almond extract Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional) Add to list
Preheat oven to 325° F. Combine coconut and honey in a bowl. Add unbeaten egg whites (or substitute), extracts and salt. Drop by teaspoonful into tiny haystack shapes onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until golden. Remove from baking sheets and place on wire racks to cool.
Variations: Honey, maple syrup, Mysticake Fru Lit Juice Concentrates all work well and are equally sweet, though distinctly different in flavors. Rice or barley malt syrup would have very subtle sweetness here.
each serving: 45 cal, 3.5g fat (3g sat), 0mg chol, 15mg sodium, 4g carb, 1g fiber, 1g protein
Recipe by, former PCC Nutrition Education Manager
Source: PCC Sound Consumer, February 2013
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »