PCC Coconut Mashed Yams
- 2 1/2 pounds yams, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces Add to list
- 7 ounces canned coconut milk Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala Add to list
- Salt, to taste Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro Add to list
- 2 ounces shredded, unsweetened coconut (about 3/4 cup) Add to list
Steam yams for 15 to 20 minutes, or until soft and fully cooked.
Using a mixer with whip attachment, combine yams, coconut milk, garam masala, salt, sugar and cilantro until well mixed; chill.
To toast coconut, preheat oven to 350° F. Spread shredded coconut in a thin layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring once or twice to make sure the coconut browns evenly.
To serve, garnish yam mixture with toasted coconut flakes.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »