PCC Coconut Mashed Yams
- 2 1/2 pounds yams, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces Add to list
- 7 ounces canned coconut milk Add to list
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic Add to list
- 1 teaspoon garam masala Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 2 teaspoons sugar Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro Add to list
- 1/8 pound shredded, unsweetened coconut Add to list
Steam yams for 15 to 20 minutes, or until soft and fully cooked.
Using a mixer with whip attachment, combine yams, coconut milk, chili flakes, garlic, garam masala, salt, sugar and cilantro until well mixed; chill.
To toast coconut, preheat oven to 350° F. Spread shredded coconut in a thin layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring once or twice to make sure the coconut browns evenly.
To serve, garnish yam mixture with toasted coconut flakes.
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!