PCC Coconut Mashed Yams
- 2 ounces shredded unsweetened coconut (about 3/4 cup) Add to list
- 2 1/2 pounds Jewel or Garnet yams (sweet potatoes), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces Add to list
- 7 ounces canned coconut milk Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala Add to list
- Salt, to taste Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F. Spread shredded coconut in a thin layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring once or twice to make sure coconut browns evenly.
In a vegetable steamer basket set over medium-high heat, steam yams for 15 to 20 minutes, or until soft and fully cooked.
Using a mixer with whip attachment, combine yams, coconut milk, garam masala, salt, sugar and cilantro until well mixed.
To serve, garnish yam mixture with toasted coconut.
Each serving: 200 cal, 11g fat (9g sat), 0mg chol, 220mg sodium, 24g carb, 4g fiber, 6g sugars, 3g protein
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!