Coconut Fish Curry with Charred Chiles & Lime
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 jalapeños, seeds and membranes removed (for more heat, only remove from 1 jalapeño) Add to list
- 2 stalks lemongrass, chopped (use bottom 5 inches) Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots Add to list
- 1/4 cup cilantro stems (save the leaves) Add to list
- 1 clove garlic Add to list
- 2 tablespoons peeled and chopped ginger Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon dried turmeric (or use 1 teaspoon grated fresh turmeric Add to list
- 5 lime leaves, grind 1 for use in the curry paste, reserve the rest whole (or substitute with the zest from 2 limes) Add to list
- 1/4 cup stock or water Add to list
- 1 tablespoon high-heat oil Add to list
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk Add to list
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce Add to list
- 1/2 pound halibut, cut into chunks Add to list
- Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish Add to list
Put jalapeños, lemongrass, shallots, cilantro stems, garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin, salt, turmeric and ground lime leaf or zest from 1 lime in the food processor. Blend to create a curry paste, using up to 1/4 cup stock or water to help achieve a smooth puree. Blend well, at least 3 minutes.
Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add curry paste and fry the paste for 2 to 3 minutes. Add coconut milk, the rest of the Kaffir lime leaves or zest and the fish sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
Add the halibut and turn the heat off. Let the residual heat gently cook the fish. After 5 minutes it will be ready to serve. Top with sesame seeds.
For the topping
Heat the oil in a small sauté pan over medium-high heat. Fry the chiles and onion until caramelized. Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro, lime pieces and salt. Place a spoonful on top of each serving.
Serve this dish with rice and sautéed greens.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated at the 2010 Issaquah PCC Healthy Living Fair.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »