Classic Pot Roast
- 3 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast (we used grass-fed beef) Add to list
- Salt and pepper to taste Add to list
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil Add to list
- 3 carrots, cut in half and then cut lengthwise into 2- to 3-inch piece Add to list
- 1 onion, chopped into 1-inch squares Add to list
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 2-inch pieces Add to list
- 2 garlic cloves with skin, crushed Add to list
- Several sprigs fresh thyme Add to list
- 2 bay leaves Add to list
- 1 cup red wine Add to list
- 2 cups beef broth Add to list
- 1 1/2 pounds organic baby red potatoes Add to list
Preheat oven to 325° F.
Season the chuck roast liberally with salt and pepper. In a large, heavy bottom braising pan (OK to substitute another pan), heat safflower oil over medium to medium-high heat. Sear beef thoroughly on both sides or until it is browned. Remove meat and add carrots cut-side down, and brown slightly. Add onions and sauté for 2 minutes, then add celery, garlic, thyme, bay leaves and deglaze pan with red wine.
Reduce wine slightly and return seared chuck roast to pan with beef broth. Cover pan and place in oven. Cook for 30 minutes and then reduce heat to 300° F and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
Let rest on stove top for 10 minutes and then slice and serve with vegetables and gravy over smashed and seasoned potatoes.
For potatoes, you may either boil them in salted water until tender (approximately 20 minutes), or you can add them to the braising pot with chuck roast for the last 1 hour of cooking.
Recipe by, PCC Deli
Source: 2010 PCC fall member meeting dinner