Classic Braised Corned Beef and Cabbage with Roasted Root Vegetables
Serves: 6 to 8
This classic beef dish is great for large family celebrations and holidays, or make it for a regular weeknight meal and enjoy the leftovers the next day!
- 1 corned beef brisket Add to list
- 1/2 cup dry red wine Add to list
- Roasted Root Vegetables and Leeks Add to list
- Cranberry Horseradish Sauce Add to list
- 1 head Savoy cabbage (or your favorite cabbage), cored and cut into 8 wedges Add to list
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder dissolved in enough water to make a pourable paste Add to list
- Chopped dill or parsley, for garnish Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Place corned beef brisket, along with its spices and red wine, in a pot. Add enough water to cover the brisket. Place the lid on the pot and simmer very gently for approximately 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until fork tender.
When the corned beef is fork tender, add cabbage to the pot and poach for about 15 minutes. At this time you may put the Roasted Root Vegetables and Leeks into the oven.
Remove the warm brisket from the cooking liquid and trim it of any excess fat. Remove the cabbage and place on a heated serving platter. Strain about 2 cups of the cooking liquid into a small pot and bring to a simmer. Stir in the arrowroot mixture and stir until thickened, about 3 minutes. If you like, stir in 1 tablespoon of chopped dill or parsley.
Slice brisket thinly across the grain, and place it on the platter next to the cabbage. Pile on the Roasted Root Vegetables and Leeks and sprinkle with chopped dill or parsley. Serve the thickened corned beef jus and Cranberry Horseradish Sauce on the side.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show, which aired on February 18, 2012.