Yield: About 30 truffles
A box of homemade truffles is a wonderful Valentine's gift. Although not low-calorie or low-fat, this recipe calls for using a whole food sugar, which adds a new dimension with natural nutrients.
- 9 ounces semisweet chocolate Add to list
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter Add to list
- 1 cup heavy cream Add to list
- 3 tablespoons organic sugar or Sucanat Add to list
- 3 tablespoons Grand Marnier or Caraco liquor Add to list
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder Add to list
- Ground hazelnuts, almonds, coconut, or pralines Add to list
Melt chocolate and half the butter in a pan over warm water, or in a double boiler. Add the cream, the rest of the butter, and organic sugar (or Sucanat), stirring vigorously between each additional item. Do not overheat. Stir in the liquor.
Remove from heat, place in a bowl and cool. Place the bowl in the refrigerator overnight. Once set, shape into balls and roll in cocoa, ground nuts, coconut, pralines or other coating to taste. Package as desired.
Recipe by, Green Living Channels Producer
Source: Sound Consumer February 2003