Chocolate-Espresso Mousse with Whipped Crème Fraîche and Toasted Almonds
- 1 cup heavy cream Add to list
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped Add to list
- 1 ounce unsalted butter Add to list
- 2 tablespoons espresso or very strong coffee Add to list
- 3 large eggs, separated Add to list
- 1 tablespoon sugar Add to list
- Crème Fraîche, for garnish (optional) Add to list
- 1 cup toasted sliced almonds, for garnish Add to list
Whip heavy cream to soft peaks, then refrigerate.
Combine chocolate, butter and espresso in the top of a double boiler over barely hot water. Stir until smooth. Remove from the heat and cool until chocolate feels warm to the touch (if too cool, the chocolate will seize and you'll have to start over).
While chocolate is cooling, whip egg whites until foamy and beginning to hold shape. Sprinkle with sugar and whip until soft peaks form.
When chocolate is cool, stir in egg yolks. Gently fold in about 1/3 of the refrigerated whipped cream. Fold in half of the egg whites until incorporated, then fold in remaining whites. Fold in remaining whipped cream.
Spoon mousse into a serving bowl or individual bowls and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Garnish with whipped Crème Fraîche and toasted almonds.
Recipe by, PCC Deli
Source: 2010 PCC fall member meeting dinner