Chocolate-Espresso Mousse with Whipped Crème Fraîche and Toasted Almonds
- 1 cup cold Organic Valley heavy cream Add to list
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (we used Theo organic chocolate) Add to list
- 1 ounce unsalted organic butter Add to list
- 2 tablespoons espresso or very strong coffee (we used Fidalgo Bay coffee, decaf is OK) Add to list
- 3 large organic eggs, separated Add to list
- 1 tablespoon organic sugar Add to list
- Crème Fraîche Add to list
- 1 cup toasted sliced almonds Add to list
Whip the heavy cream to soft peaks then refrigerate.
Combine chocolate, butter and espresso in the top of a double boiler over hot but not simmering water. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat and cool until chocolate feels warm to touch (if too cool, the chocolate will seize and you'll have to start over).
While chocolate is cooling, whip egg whites until they are foamy and beginning to hold shape. Sprinkle with sugar and whip until soft peaks form.
When chocolate is cool, stir in egg yolks. Gently fold in about 1/3 of the refrigerated whipped cream. Fold in half of the egg whites until incorporated, then fold in remaining whites. Fold in remaining whipped cream.
Spoon the mousse into a serving bowl or individual bowls and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Garnish with whipped Crème Fraîche and toasted almonds.
Recipe by, PCC Deli
Source: 2010 PCC fall member meeting dinner
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »