Chocolate Almond Biscotti
Yield: 2 to 3 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter Add to list
- 1 cup sugar Add to list
- 1/2 cup good-quality unsweetened cocoa powder Add to list
- 3 eggs Add to list
- 1 tablesoon vanilla extract Add to list
- 1 teaspoon almond extract Add to list
- 3 cups unbleached flour Add to list
- 1 tablespoon baking powder Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups roughly chopped almonds, lightly toasted and cooled Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F.
In the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer, beat together butter, sugar and cocoa powder. Stir in the eggs, vanilla and almond extract. In a separate small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Stir into the butter and egg mixture until almost combined, then add the almonds.
Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and gather together. Divide the dough in half and shape into 2 logs. Place on a cookie sheet that’s been sprayed with oil. Pat to even up the shapes. Bake until firm to the touch, 25 to 30 minutes, then let cool completely.
Lower oven temperature to 275° F. Using a serrated knife, cut on the diagonal into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place the slices cut-side down on the baking sheet. Bake until browned, about 25 minutes.
Transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks (or freeze).
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »