Chilled Summer Borscht
Yield: about 2 quarts soup
Who can possibly resist the brilliant, gem-like tones of this classic soup? Beyond its visual appeal are the honey-and-spice notes of fresh summer beets infused with tangy-sweet balsamic vinegar, cracked pepper and fresh dill.
- 6 to 8 baby beets Add to list
- 3 tablespoons high-heat oil or butter Add to list
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and chopped Add to list
- 1 small celery root, peeled and chopped Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste Add to list
- 1 tablespoon sugar Add to list
- 1 quart vegetable broth Add to list
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- Radish and Cucumber Salad (optional) Add to list
- Sour cream, for garnish (optional) Add to list
Wrap beets in foil and bake at 400° F for 1 hour or until fork tender. Cool and slip off their skins; coarsely chop.
In a heavy pot, heat oil or butter and sauté onions, celery root and garlic for 5 minutes or until onions are tender and lightly golden. Stir in tomato paste and sugar and cook for 1 minute more. Add beets, broth, vinegar and dill. Cook for 5 minutes, to meld the flavors. Season well with salt and pepper. Allow to cool, then puree in batches until smooth. Add more broth if it is too thick. Chill completely.
Serve garnished with Radish and Cucumber Salad, sour cream and dill sprigs if you like, and pass the pepper mill.
Recipe by, PCC Chef