PCC Chilean Squash Casserole
Prep time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds winter squash, peeled, seeded and diced Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided Add to list
- salt for roasting squash Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onions, diced Add to list
- 1/4 cup green pepper, diced Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups frozen sweet corn, thawed Add to list
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin Add to list
- 1 teaspoon chili powder Add to list
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/2 pound cream cheese, softened Add to list
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese Add to list
- 2 eggs Add to list
- 1/8 pound cotija cheese, crumbled Add to list
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese Add to list
- 12 corn tortillas Add to list
- 7 ounces canned diced green chiles Add to list
- 2 tablespoons roasted red peppers, chopped Add to list
Preheat oven to 400˚ F.
Toss squash in 1 tablespoon oil and salt. Roast on a baking sheet for 30 minutes or until soft and nicely browned.
Heat remaining oil over medium heat and add onions, green peppers, corn, garlic, cumin, chili powder, crushed red pepper flakes, oregano and salt. Sauté until onions are soft, about 8 minutes.
Puree cream cheese, ricotta cheese and eggs in food processor.
In a small bowl, mix together cotija cheese and cheddar cheese.
In a 9- by 13-inch baking pan, layer 1/2 of the corn tortillas, squash, green chiles, onion mixture, roasted peppers, cheddar/cotija mixture and cream cheese mixture. Repeat, setting aside a bit of the onion and cheddar/cotija mixture for the top of the casserole.
Bake for 40 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 20 minutes to desired brownness.