Chikuzenni (Chicken and Root Vegetable Stew)
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken thighs Add to list
- 4 tablespoons sake, divided Add to list
- 2 medium carrots Add to list
- 1 stalk burdock root Add to list
- 2 medium Yukon Gold or yellow potatoes Add to list
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms (soaked in 1 cup of water for at least 2 hours; keep the water) Add to list
- 12 to 16 snow peas (or 1/2 cup green peas) Add to list
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil Add to list
- 2 cups dashi (see note) Add to list
- 4 tablespoons sugar Add to list
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce Add to list
- 2 tablespoons mirin Add to list
Cut chicken thighs into 1-inch square pieces, put in a bowl and splash 1 tablespoon of sake over them. Let them sit for 10 minutes.
Peel and cut carrots, burdock root and potatoes into same-size pieces as the chicken. Cut off the stems of the shiitake mushrooms and cut them to match the vegetables and chicken. Blanch snow peas and cut pods in half diagonally.
Heat a medium-deep saucepan over high heat and add sesame oil. Add the burdock root, sauté for 1 minute and then add the chicken. Sauté for another minute or two, and then add the remaining vegetables except for the snow peas. Add the dashi broth.
When the broth starts boiling, add sugar. Cook over high heat for about 5 minutes.
Add soy sauce and remaining sake and continue to cook until almost all the liquid is cooked down (10 to 15 minutes).
Add mirin and let the alcohol evaporate; this process gives a nice glaze to the ingredients.
Remove from heat. Garnish with snow peas. Serve warm or cold.
To make dashi:
Combine kombu, bonito flakes and the water used to soak the shiitake mushrooms.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor