Chikuzenni (Chicken and Root Vegetable Stew)
Serves: 4 to 6
Chikuzenni is a chicken and root vegetable stew that originated in northern Kyushu, Japan. It is often eaten during the new year.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken thighs Add to list
- 4 tablespoons sake, divided Add to list
- 2 carrots Add to list
- 1 stalk burdock root Add to list
- 2 Yukon gold or yellow potatoes Add to list
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms (soaked in 1 cup water for at least 2 hours; keep the water) Add to list
- 12 to 16 snow peas (or 1/2 cup green peas) Add to list
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil Add to list
- 2 cups dashi (see note) Add to list
- 4 tablespoons sugar Add to list
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce Add to list
- 2 tablespoons mirin Add to list
Cut chicken thighs into 1-inch square pieces. Put in a bowl and splash with 1 tablespoon sake; let sit for 10 minutes.
Peel and cut carrots, burdock root and potatoes into 1-inch square pieces. Remove mushrooms stems and cut caps to match the vegetables and chicken. Blanch snow peas and cut pods in half diagonally.
Heat a deep saucepan over high heat and add sesame oil. Add burdock root, sauté for 1 minute and then add chicken. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, and then add carrots, potatoes and mushrooms; add dashi broth.
When the broth starts boiling, add sugar. Cook over high heat for about 5 minutes.
Add soy sauce and remaining sake and continue to cook until almost all the liquid is cooked down, 10 to 15 minutes.
Add mirin and let alcohol evaporate; this process gives a nice glaze to the ingredients.
Remove from heat. Garnish with snow peas. Serve warm or cold.
To make dashi:
Combine kombu, bonito flakes and water used to soak the shiitake mushrooms.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor