Chickpea, Coconut and Squash Curry
- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil Add to list
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter Add to list
- 1 onion, diced Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 2 cups cooked garbanzo beans Add to list
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds, ground Add to list
- 1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds, ground Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric Add to list
- 1 tablespoon garam masala Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne Add to list
- 1 bunch kale, ribs removed and leaves thinly sliced Add to list
- 1 pound delicata squash - cut in half, seeds removed and cut into half rings Add to list
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk Add to list
- 2 cups vegetable stock Add to list
- Tamarind Sauce, for serving Add to list
Heat a deep-sided sauté pan or a small, wide pot over medium-high heat. Add oil, butter, onions and a small pinch of salt. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add garbanzo beans and turn the heat up to high. Cook, stirring, until garbanzo beans are lightly browned in spots.
Add coriander, mustard, turmeric, garam masala and cayenne and stir for 1 minute. Add kale, squash, coconut milk and stock. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer and cook, slightly covered, for 15 to 20 minutes until squash is soft and kale is tender.
Season the curry to taste with salt and pepper and serve with Tamarind Sauce and rice.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated on the PCC Cooks stage at Vegfest 2012.