Chickpea, Coconut and Squash Curry
- 2 tablespoons high-heat vegetable oil Add to list
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter Add to list
- 1 onion, diced Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 2 cups cooked garbanzo beans Add to list
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seed, ground Add to list
- 1 teaspoon whole mustard seed, ground Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric Add to list
- 1 tablespoon garam masala Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne Add to list
- 1 bunch kale, ribs removed, thinly sliced Add to list
- 1 pound delicata squash, cut in half, seeds removed, cut into half rings Add to list
- 14-ounce can coconut milk Add to list
- 2 cups vegetable stock Add to list
Heat a deep-sided sauté pan or a small, wide pot over medium-high heat. Add the oil, butter and then the onion and a small pinch of salt and cook for 5 to 7 minutes until the onion is translucent. Add the garbanzo beans and turn the heat up to high. Cook, stirring, until the garbanzo beans are lightly browned in spots.
Add the coriander, mustard, turmeric, garam masala and cayenne to the beans and onions and stir for 1 minute. Add the kale, squash, coconut milk and stock. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer and cook, slightly covered, for 15 to 20 minutes until the squash is soft and the kale is tender.
Season the curry to taste with salt and pepper and serve with Tamarind Sauce and rice.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated on the PCC Cooks stage at Vegfest 2012.