Chickpea and Olive Spread
Yield: Makes 1 1/2 cups
Besides having olives, anchovie and artichokes stashed in your pantry, always stock a few different kinds of canned beans. Chickpeas and white beans can be used for salads, soups, and in this case, wonderful dips and spreads that can be used on toasted bread, crackers or even as a sandwich filling.
- 1 14-ounce can (1 3/4 cups) chickpeas, drained and rinsed Add to list
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced Add to list
- 1/3 cup Napoleon pitted Kalamata olives Add to list
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt Add to list
- Large pinch cayenne Add to list
- 1/3 cup Napoleon extra virgin olive oil Add to list
Combine all the ingredients except the olive oil in a food processor. Pulse to combine and with the motor running, slowly pour in the olive oil.
Variation: Substitute 1 can (15 ounces or 1 3/4 cups) white beans for the chickpeas, omit the scallions and olives and add 4 Napoleon anchovy fillets and 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley.
Source: Sound Consumer August 2003