Chicken Vegetable Dumpling Soup
Dumplings are magic—they change clear broth into a thick hearty soup. This dish is one of a trio of culinary delights; all starting with one slow-roasted, free-range chicken from your PCC deli. See Three Meals and a Chicken
- 1 tablespoon high-heat oil Add to list
- 1 cup sliced leeks or onions Add to list
- 1/2 cup each chopped carrots, celery and parsnips Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs (thyme, sage, dill, marjoram, parsley) or 2 teaspoons dried Add to list
- 1 quart chicken broth Add to list
- Small pieces of chicken from deli chicken (from wings, back and legs) Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1 cup flour Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley Add to list
- 2 tablespoons shortening Add to list
- 1/3 cup milk Add to list
Heat oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Sauté leeks, carrots, celery, parsnips and herbs until vegetables are soft, 7 to 10 minutes. Add broth, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add chicken, salt and pepper to taste, cover and bring back to a simmer.
Combine flour, baking powder, parsley, salt and pepper in a bowl. Cut in shortening with your fingers, then quickly stir in milk.
Remove the lid and drop spoonfuls of dumpling dough onto the surface of the soup. It will almost cover the surface. Replace the lid and continue simmering, without peeking, for 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
Recipe by, PCC staff