Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serves: 6 to 8
This flavorful soup is great for a family supper or a crowd pleaser. It doubles easily and keeps well for a few days in the fridge.
- 1 small onion, chopped Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped Add to list
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped Add to list
- Small piece of jalapeño, finely chopped (optional) Add to list
- 1 tablespoon oil Add to list
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken Add to list
- 4 cups chicken stock Add to list
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes Add to list
- 1 dried chipotle pepper or a pinch of chipotle powder Add to list
- Broken crisp tortilla chips Add to list
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped Add to list
- Shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese Add to list
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and chopped Add to list
- Fresh lime wedges Add to list
Sauté onion, garlic, bell pepper and optional jalapeño in oil until just soft, then sprinkle with oregano and cumin. Add chicken, stock, tomatoes and chipotle pepper or powder.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle chips on top of each ladled bowl of soup. Serve garnished with fresh cilantro, shredded cheese, chopped avocado and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
Each serving: 360 cal, 20g fat (5g sat), 40mg chol, 790mg sodium, 31g carb, 5g fiber, 17g protein
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »