Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serves: 6 to 8
This flavorful soup is great for a family supper or a crowd pleaser. It doubles easily and keeps well for a few days in the fridge.
- 1 small onion, chopped Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped Add to list
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped Add to list
- 1/2 to 1 jalapeño, finely chopped (optional) Add to list
- 1 tablespoon oil Add to list
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken Add to list
- 4 cups chicken stock Add to list
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes Add to list
- 1 dried chipotle pepper or a pinch of chipotle powder Add to list
- Broken crisp tortilla chips Add to list
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped Add to list
- Shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese, for serving Add to list
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and chopped Add to list
- Fresh lime wedges, for serving Add to list
Ina soup pot, sauté onions, garlic, bell pepper and jalapeño over medium heat in oil until just soft, 7 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with oregano and cumin. Add chicken, stock, tomatoes and chipotle pepper or powder.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle chips on top of each ladled bowl of soup. Serve garnished with fresh cilantro, shredded cheese, chopped avocado and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
Each serving: 360 cal, 20g fat (5g sat), 40mg chol, 790mg sodium, 31g carb, 5g fiber, 17g protein
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor