Chicken Pot Pie with Buttermilk Dill Biscuits
Cozy and comforting, this chicken pot pie is baked in one dish.
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided Add to list
- 1 onion, finely chopped Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided Add to list
- 2 cups chicken broth Add to list
- 2 cups milk Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded Add to list
- 1 cup chopped carrots Add to list
- 1 cup chopped celeriac Add to list
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed Add to list
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, divided Add to list
- 2 teaspoons baking soda Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder Add to list
- 1 teaspoon sugar Add to list
- 4 ounces cold neufschâtel (low-fat cream cheese) Add to list
- 1 cup buttermilk Add to list
Preheat oven to 425° F.
Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook until onions are soft, about 7 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup all-purpose flour to form a loose paste. Slowly whisk in broth and milk; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, 5 to 7 minutes.
Fold in chicken, carrots, celeriac, peas and 1 tablespoon dill; reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, prepare biscuits by mixing together remaining 2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, a generous pinch of salt and remaining 2 tablespoons dill in a bowl.
Cut in remaining 4 tablespoons butter and neufschâtel with a pastry blender or fingertips, until mixture is crumbly. Stir in buttermilk and gently mix to form dough.
Roll dough out into a circle to fit the Dutch oven. Cut into triangles (as if you were slicing a pie) and place dough on top of the hot pot pie filling. Bake until biscuits are golden and filling is bubbly, 15 to 20 minutes.
Each serving: 390 cal, 18g fat (10g sat), 65mg chol, 1160mg sodium, 40g carb, 3g fiber, 9g sugars, 17g protein
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »