Chicken Pot Pie
Use leftover vegetables from the Chicken Vegetable Dumpling Soup recipe, adding potato, corn and peas for an old-fashioned treat.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- Diced carrots, celery leeks and parsnips remaining from soup recipe Add to list
- 1 large potato, diced Add to list
- 2 cups chicken broth Add to list
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-¬purpose flour, divided Add to list
- Diced chicken breast meat, remaining from soup recipe Add to list
- 1 cup each frozen corn and peas Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste Add to list
- 1/2 cup shortening or butter Add to list
- 1 to 2 teaspoons herbs (lemon thyme, parsley, dill and sage) Add to list
- 4 tablespoons cold water Add to list
- Pepper , to taste Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F.
In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté carrots, celery, leeks, parsnips and potatoes until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Add a little broth if the pan dries out. Scatter 2 tablespoons flour over vegetables and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Slowly add remaining broth. Stir in chicken, corn and peas. Let this mixture simmer slowly while you prepare the crust.
Combine 1 cup flour and ½ teaspoon salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender or your fingers until evenly incorporated. Add water, using a fork to quickly combine. Gather the dough with your hands and pat into a ball. Roll out on a lightly floured board a little larger than your pie or cake pan.
Stir in herbs, salt and pepper to filling. Pour filling into the pan, top with crust and bake until top browns, about 30 minutes.
Recipe by, PCC staff