- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided Add to list
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced Add to list
- 2 cups finely shredded leftover cooked chicken Add to list
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley Add to list
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning Add to list
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest Add to list
- 1/2 cup finely grated hard cheese such as Parmesan or cheddar Add to list
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten Add to list
- 1/2 cup or more milk or broth Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper Add to list
In a small skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and sauté the chopped onion and garlic until soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine chicken, breadcrumbs, parsley, Italian seasoning, lemon zest and cheese. Gently stir in sautéed onion and garlic, eggs, and milk or broth, adding more liquid as needed until the mixture can be formed into patties. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
To make croquettes, fill a 1/3-cup dry measuring cup with chicken mixture. Invert onto work surface and gently form into a patty. Repeat procedure with remaining mixture.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add croquettes and cook 4 minutes or until bottoms are golden. Carefully flip over and cook 4 minutes more or until bottoms are golden and croquettes are heated thoroughly.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »