This croquette recipe is a great way to use leftover chicken from last nights dinner.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided Add to list
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onions Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced Add to list
- 2 cups finely shredded leftover cooked chicken Add to list
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley Add to list
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning Add to list
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest Add to list
- 1/2 cup finely grated hard cheese such as Parmesan or cheddar Add to list
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten Add to list
- 1/2 cup or more milk or broth Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
In a small skillet heat 1 tablespoon oil and sauté onions and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine chicken, breadcrumbs, parsley, Italian seasoning, lemon zest and cheese. Gently stir in sautéed onions and garlic, eggs and milk or broth, adding more liquid as needed until the mixture can be formed into patties. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
To make croquettes, fill a 1/3-cup dry measuring cup with chicken mixture. Invert onto a work surface and gently form into a patty. Repeat procedure with remaining mixture.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add croquettes and cook 4 minutes or until bottoms are golden. Carefully flip over and cook 4 minutes more or until bottoms are golden and croquettes are heated thoroughly.