Chicken Cherry Pilaf
Prep time: 30 minutes
From an old Persian recipe, a simple homestyle dish blending fruit and meat.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil Add to list
- 3 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into chunks Add to list
- 1 sweet onion, chopped Add to list
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon Add to list
- Salt and pepper Add to list
- 1 cup long grain white rice or other grain Add to list
- 1 2/3 cups water (or amount needed to cook grain) Add to list
- 1 cup halved, pitted Bing or Lapin cherries (about 30 cherries) Add to list
Heat olive oil in heavy-bottomed pot with lid, like a Dutch oven. Braise chicken pieces until lightly browned all over, remove from pan, and add onions to pan. Cook onions until almost tender, adding cinnamon, salt and pepper to taste.
Add grain to pan, stirring to mix with onions. Add chicken back to pan, stirring again. Add water. Bring to boil, cover, and turn down to simmer. Cook until grain is almost tender. Add cherries about five minutes before grain is done.
Remove pot from stove and let sit, covered for 1 to 2 minutes to "rest." Serve this dish warm.
Suggestions for grains: Brown basmati-style rice, millet. Adjust liquid amount and cooking time for the grain you choose.
Source: Sound Consumer July 2002