Cheryl’s Barley Salad
Serves: 8 to 10
February’s “whole grain of the month,” barley is packed with soluble fiber and has been proven to lower cholesterol. The FDA even agrees that barley reduces the risk of heart disease.
- 2 cups hulled barley Add to list
- 1/3 cup lemon juice Add to list
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1 clove garlic, minced Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper Add to list
- 2 cups chopped, toasted walnuts Add to list
- 1/2 pound sheep’s milk feta, crumbled Add to list
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, coarsely chopped Add to list
Rinse barley and drain. Place barley in a pot with 6 to 8 cups water and a couple pinches of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook covered for 2 hours or until chewy tender. Drain the cooked barley and rinse to cool.
In a bowl, mix together the lemon juice, oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the barley. Toss with the walnuts, feta and parsley and serve.
Each serving: 410cal, 28g fat (6g sat), 20mg chol, 320mg sodium, 32g carb, 8g fiber, 12g protein
Recipe by, PCC Deli
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!