PCC Cheryl’s Barley Salad
Serves: 8 to 10
February’s “whole grain of the month,” barley is packed with soluble fiber and has been proven to lower cholesterol. The FDA even agrees that barley reduces the risk of heart disease.
- 2 cups hulled barley Add to list
- 1/3 cup lemon juice Add to list
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1 clove garlic, minced Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper Add to list
- 2 cups chopped, toasted walnuts Add to list
- 1/2 pound sheep’s milk feta, crumbled Add to list
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, coarsely chopped Add to list
Rinse barley and drain. Place barley in a pot with 6 to 8 cups water and a couple pinches of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook covered for 2 hours or until chewy tender. Drain the cooked barley and rinse to cool.
In a bowl, mix together the lemon juice, oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the barley. Toss with the walnuts, feta and parsley and serve.
Each serving: 410cal, 28g fat (6g sat), 20mg chol, 320mg sodium, 32g carb, 8g fiber, 12g protein
Recipe by, PCC Deli
PCC Deli recipes were created initially for large-scale, commercial use. We've done our best to scale them down for the home kitchen, converting measurements, etc. but we can't promise they're perfect. If you discover a better method or measurement while making the dish, please feel free to share your feedback in the Comments section below the recipe. Thanks and happy cooking!
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »