Cherry Bacon Jam
Yield: Makes about 1 pint
Put this bacon jam on hamburgers, toast, top a fried egg or just eat by the spoonful!
- 1 pound nitrate-free bacon, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces Add to list
- 1 red onion, chopped Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped dried cherries Add to list
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar Add to list
- 1 cup brewed coffee Add to list
- 1/4 cup maple syrup Add to list
- 1/4 cup tequila or water Add to list
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- Pinch of cayenne (optional) Add to list
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste Add to list
Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat and add bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 10 to 15 minutes; drain on paper towels.
Remove all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the skillet. Add onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cherries and cook for 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, including bacon, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until syrupy, stirring occasionally, 20 to 40 minutes.
Remove from heat and cool for 15 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and pulse a few times to reach the consistency of chunky jam. Store in a clean jar in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.