Cheesy Mini Macs
Yield: 1 dozen
These tiny macaroni and cheese muffins make a great kids dinner or a fun side dish.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni Add to list
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter Add to list
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour Add to list
- 3/4 cup milk Add to list
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (about 4 ounces) Add to list
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces) Add to list
- 2 egg yolks Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese Add to list
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs Add to list
Preheat oven to 375° F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce coats the back of a spoon, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in Monterey Jack, cheddar , egg yolks, mustard, salt and pepper until smooth; fold in macaroni.
Spoon macaroni into prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with Parmesan and breadcrumbs.
Bake until golden and bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in pan for 5 minutes before serving.
Each mini mac: 180cal, 8g fat (5g sat), 55mg chol, 160mg sodium, 18g carb, 1g fiber, 9g protein