Cheddar and Apple Corn Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins
With a touch of sweet and savory, these muffins are sure to please at the breakfast or dinner table.
- 1 cup gluten-free flour blend (see note) Add to list
- 1 cup cornmeal Add to list
- 1 tablespoon baking powder Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper Add to list
- 1 cup buttermilk Add to list
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted Add to list
- 1 tablespoon honey Add to list
- 2 eggs, beaten Add to list
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional) Add to list
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces) Add to list
- 1 small shallot, minced (optional) Add to list
- 1 apple, chopped Add to list
Preheat oven to 400° F. Coat 12 muffin cups with nonstick spray.
Whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, baking soda and pepper in a large bowl. Combine buttermilk, butter, honey and eggs in a small bowl. Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and stir to blend. Fold in additions. Divide batter evenly between muffin cups.
Bake until tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack.
Substitute all-purpose flour for the gluten-free flour blend, if desired.
Each muffin: 130 cal, 6 g fat (3.5 g sat), 50 mg chol, 500 mg sodium, 15 g carb, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein
Recipe by, PCC Chef