Chana Masala (Spicy Garbanzo Winter Stew)
Savor this stew’s spicy aroma as it sputters atop your stove. Find the spices and seeds in our bulk section.
- 4 tablespoons high-heat oil Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds Add to list
- 5 to 8 fenugreek seeds Add to list
- 1 green chile pepper of your choice Add to list
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped Add to list
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger Add to list
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric Add to list
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon paprika Add to list
- 4 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped Add to list
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro stems Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt Add to list
- 1 (28-ounce) can garbanzo beans. rinsed and drained Add to list
- 1 cup water Add to list
Gently heat oil in a large pot with mustard, cumin and fenugreek seeds. Cover pot and heat over medium-high until mustard seeds complete popping sounds.
Quickly add chile and let it roast in the hot oil for 1 minute, then add onion, ginger and garlic. Lower heat to medium and stir well. When onion is translucent, add remaining spices. Stir well and let spices release their essence into the oil, taking care not to let them scorch or burn. If necessary, add a small amount of water or oil to prevent burning.
Add tomatoes and cilantro stems; stir well. Let tomatoes reduce to a paste with the onions. Season with salt. Don’t leave the stove — watch for signs of burning and constantly stir the mixture.
When mixture becomes thick, add chickpeas and water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until chickpeas are heated through.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor