Cast Iron Skillet Greens, Pasta and Sausage Sauté
This dish starts with a mountain of gorgeous, dark, leafy greens sautéed with sweet onions and pungent garlic until bright, fragrant and tender. The addition of pasta, hearty white beans and PCC Italian sausage turns this one pan wonder into a complete meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and sliced Add to list
- 6 cups chopped dark leafy greens (any type of kale, collards, beet greens or chard in any combination) Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1 tablespoon red wine or balsamic vinegar, to taste Add to list
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips Add to list
- 3 cups loosely packed cooked pasta (such as penne or shell shapes) Add to list
- 2 to 3 Italian sausages, cooked and sliced Add to list
- 1 cup cooked cannellini beans or your favorite Add to list
- 12 to 16 whole or coarsely chopped basil leaves Add to list
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese Add to list
In a heavy, wide-bottom sauté pan (such as-you guessed it, cast iron…) heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onions for 3 to 4 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Add greens and garlic and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Cook greens until they begin to wilt but are still bright green. Sprinkle vinegar over the surface of the greens.
Stir in bell pepper strips and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in pasta, sausage, beans and basil leaves. Gently heat through.
Serve garnished with grated Parmesan cheese.
Recipe by, PCC Chef