Cashew Coconut or Chocolate Truffle Power Balls
Yield: 16 to 18 (1-inch) balls
These little guys are packed with flavor and energy. Make them ahead and enjoy all week.
- 2/3 cup pitted dates Add to list
- 2/3 cup cashew pieces (I prefer the roasted, salted variety) or hazelnuts Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (leave out if you use salted nuts) Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon Add to list
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut or 1/4 cup unsweetened cacao powder Add to list
- 1/2 cup cooked (warm) brown rice (optional) Add to list
- 1/4 cup protein powder (optional) Add to list
In a food processor, pulse dates, nuts (either cashews with the coconut or hazelnuts with the cacao powder), salt, cinnamon and either shredded coconut or cacao until well mixed with little bits of nuts visible. If you would like to add rice or protein powder, do so at the same time as the dates and nuts.
Roll into small balls about 3/4- to 1-inch in diameter. If they are not holding together, add more dates. You may roll the balls in either shredded coconut or cacao powder to coat the outside. Serve these up as breakfast to-go, as dessert “truffles” or put into a container with a lid for travel or hiking. They freeze well in bags.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor