Coconut milk and carrots are a classic combination in winter soups. This side dish has a similar flavor profile, but the hearty, comforting texture of mashed potatoes.
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and quartered Add to list
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered Add to list
- 1/2 cup coconut milk Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon grated fresh ginger Add to list
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste Add to list
Place carrots and potatoes in a large pot with enough cold water to cover; salt water to taste. Bring to a boil and simmer until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. While potatoes cook, heat coconut milk, oil, cumin and ginger in a small pot over medium heat. Keep warm.
Drain vegetables and return to the pot. Shake them over medium heat to evaporate any remaining liquid. Pass vegetables through a ricer or mash. Stir in coconut milk mixture and season with salt and pepper.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »