Caramelized Spiced Nuts
Yield: 1 1/2 cups
Snack on these sweet and spicy nuts at home, at the office or as an appetizer at a cocktail party.
- 1 cup unbleached, unrefined sugar, divided Add to list
- 1 tablespoon butter or coconut oil Add to list
- 2 teaspoons salt Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice Add to list
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper Add to list
- 2 tablespoons water Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups nuts Add to list
Combine 1/4 cup sugar with butter or coconut oil, salt, spices and water in a skillet. Simmer until sugar has dissolved. Add nuts; stir and toast for about 15 minutes until lightly caramelized.
When toasted, add remaining sugar and mix. Let cool, then store in an airtight container or bag.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor