Caramelized Fig and Blue Cheese Canapés
Yield: 12 appetizers
The light caramelization that is created on the tender figs by brushing them with balsamic vinegar and tucking them under the broiler is key to this dish. Pair that with the zesty bite of blue cheese and you will be enraptured!
- 3 ounces chèvre cheese or softened cream cheese Add to list
- 3 ounces Gorgonzola or Roquefort cheese Add to list
- 12 firm-ripe figs Add to list
- Balsamic vinegar, for brushing Add to list
- Sugar, for sprinkling Add to list
- Salt and black pepper, to taste Add to list
- 12 slices baguette, toasted Add to list
- Grated orange zest, for garnish Add to list
- Thyme sprigs, for garnish Add to list
Combine cheeses and set aside.
Preheat broiler to high.
Cut the stem end off figs and cut each fig into 3 slices lengthwise. Lay slices on a sheet pan. Brush with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with sugar, salt and pepper. Broil until bubbly, 1 to 2 minutes. Don't over cook.
Spoon or pipe cheese mixture onto baguette slices and top each with 3 slices of fig. Sprinkle with orange zest and garnish with thyme sprigs.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "New Day Northwest" show, which aired August 18, 2010.