Butternut Squash and Shaved Brussels Sprouts
So many of the deeply colorful and delicious late-season offerings are represented here. This combination makes a fabulous warm salad, side dish or perfect garnish for cozy dishes such as risotto or ravioli.
- 10 to 12 large Brussels sprouts Add to list
- 1 tablespoon butter Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 cup cubed butternut squash (cut into 1/4-inch dice) Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts Add to list
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage Add to list
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice or sherry wine vinegar, to taste Add to list
Trim the outer leaves from Brussels sprouts and run through the 4-millimeter slicing blade of your food processor. (Or just cut them into thin slices, crosswise, with a knife.)
In a large sauté pan, combine butter and oil over medium heat and add squash. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes or until squash is tender. Add Brussels sprouts, garlic, hazelnuts and sage. Drizzle with a little additional olive oil if you think necessary. Cook, stirring frequently, until sprouts begin to caramelize and are tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Toss in cranberries.
Season with salt and pepper and a splash of lemon juice or vinegar. Serve warm from the pan or at room temperature.