Butternut Squash Apple Soup
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch squares Add to list
- 1 large apple, peeled and diced Add to list
- 1 medium onion, diced Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger Add to list
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped Add to list
- 2 cups apple juice Add to list
- 14 ounces coconut milk Add to list
- 3 cups vegetable broth (adjust as needed) Add to list
- 2 teaspoons salt Add to list
- Pepper, to taste Add to list
In a saucepan set over medium heat, sauté squash, apple and onion in oil for about 5 minutes or until some deep brown color develops. Add the ginger and garlic and stir for 1 minute more.
Add the remainder of the ingredients and bring the mixture to a boil. Promptly reduce the heat, cover and cook until squash is soft, approximately 30 minutes.
Pureé in a blender or food processor. Serve with crusty bread or croutons.
For a more robust flavor, cut squash in half, rub with oil and salt and roast cut side down in a 375° F oven until soft. Add to the sautéed onion and apple, and let cook for a shorter time.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »