Bruschetta with Tomatoes and Fresh Basil
Serves: 4 to 6
There's no more summery snack than fresh, simple bruschetta. Use the best quality tomatoes you can find for best results; flavor matters far more than variety.
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, chopped Add to list
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil Add to list
- 1 clove garlic, crushed Add to list
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 4 to 6 (1/2-inch thick) baguette slices Add to list
- 4 tablespoons butter or olive oil Add to list
In a mixing bowl, combine chopped tomatoes, basil and crushed garlic. Add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
Mix together and set aside.
Toast bread until lightly golden using a broiler, grill or frying pan. While bread still is warm, rub in butter or oil. Continue to toast the bread for a few more minutes. Spoon the tomato mixture on top of the bread and serve immediately.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated at the 2010 Issaquah PCC Healthy Living Fair.