Bruschetta with Tomatoes and Fresh Basil
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, chopped Add to list
- 1/4 cup finely sliced fresh basil Add to list
- 1 clove garlic, crushed Add to list
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar Add to list
- Salt and pepper to taste Add to list
- 4 to 6 1/2-inch diagonal slices of crusty bread or baguette Add to list
- 4 tablespoons or more organic butter or use virgin olive oil Add to list
In a mixing bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, basil and crushed garlic. Add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
Mix together and set aside.
Toast the bread until lightly golden using a broiler, grill or frying pan. While the bread still is warm, rub in the butter or oil. Continue to toast the bread for a few more minutes. Spoon the tomato mixture on top of the bread and serve immediately.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated at the 2010 Issaquah PCC Healthy Living Fair.