Bruschetta with Braised Greens, Pine Nuts and Olives
- 2 bunches chard or kale (I prefer Lacinato, also known as dinosaur kale) Add to list
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling Add to list
- 1 shallot, minced Add to list
- Pinch of salt Add to list
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced, plus 1 whole garlic clove Add to list
- Pinch of red pepper flakes Add to list
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar Add to list
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, chopped Add to list
- 1/4 cup Sultana raisins Add to list
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar Add to list
- Chicken broth or water, as needed Add to list
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste Add to list
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts Add to list
- Parmigiano Reggiano, shaved, for garnish Add to list
- Slices of artisan bread Add to list
Strip the kale or chard leaves from the thick stems. Discard the stems. Wash leaves well to remove all grit. Shake water from them but don't worry about drying them well. Slice into long, thin (about 1/2-inch) strips. Heat oil over medium-high heat and sauté shallot until soft. Add a pinch of salt and then garlic and red pepper flakes. Mix well and cook for another minute.
Raise heat to high. Add greens with the water still clinging to them. Add vinegar, olives, raisins, brown sugar and a few tablespoons of chicken broth or water. Stir, cover and let greens cook down for 5 minutes. Stir, add more liquid if greens are dry, cover and cook for 5 to 10 more minutes. The greens should be tender and taste a little bit sweet-and-sour.
Add salt and pepper to taste, toss in the pine nuts and garnish with Parmigiano and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Toast the bread and rub with a half of a piece of raw garlic and then drizzle with olive oil. Pile on greens and serve.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »