Brown Sugar, Sour Cream and Strawberry Scones
Yield: 8 scones
Perfect for an afternoon tea, or simply served with a pat of butter for breakfast.
- 2 cups unbleached white flour Add to list
- 1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill 7 Grain Hot Cereal (or substitute whole grain flour) Add to list
- 1 tablespoon baking powder Add to list
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, plus extra for sprinkling Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 4 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into small cubes Add to list
- 1 cup chopped strawberries Add to list
- 1 egg, lightly beaten Add to list
- 3/4 cup sour cream Add to list
- 1/4 cup milk Add to list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Add to list
Preheat oven to 400° F.
In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, Bob's grains, baking powder, brown sugar and salt. Pulse to mix. Scatter butter over flour and pulse until the mixture resembles cornmeal. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add strawberries and toss to coat with flour.
In a separate bowl stir together egg, sour cream, milk and vanilla. Pour into the flour mixture and gently fold together until all the flour is moistened.
Sprinkle a little flour on a work surface, turn out the dough, and gently knead it a few times to bring it together. Use a little more flour if necessary (this will be a sticky dough) but don't over mix!
Transfer the dough to a baking sheet and pat it into a circle about 1-inch thick. With a dough cutter or long knife, cut into 8 wedges, leaving the circle intact. Sprinkle the top with sugar.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until deep golden.
Cut the scones in half and top with sliced berries and sweetened whipped cream.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show, which aired on May 15, 2010.