Brown Basmati Rice with Apples and Walnuts
Serve this festive Fall salad with a cream of carrot soup for lunch or tofu cutlets and steamed greens for dinner. It would also be a good accompaniment to poached or steamed fish. Try packing leftovers the next day for lunch.
- 1/3 cup walnuts Add to list
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1 orange, zested Add to list
- 1/2 cup orange juice Add to list
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg Add to list
- 4 cups cooked brown basmati rice Add to list
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries Add to list
- 1 Jonagold apple, cut into 1/4-inch pieces Add to list
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch slices Add to list
- 5 or 6 pale green celery leaves, chopped Add to list
- 4 sprigs parsley, chopped Add to list
Toast walnuts in a 350°F (175°C) oven for 5 to 7 minutes. Chop coarsely and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine olive oil, orange zest, orange juice, vinegar, salt, pepper and nutmeg; mix well.
Add rice, cranberries, apples, celery, celery leaves, parsley and chopped walnuts. Toss together until the salad is well-mixed.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor