Brown Basmati Rice with Apples and Walnuts
Serve this festive Fall salad with a cream of carrot soup for lunch or tofu cutlets and steamed greens for dinner. It would also be a good accompaniment to poached or steamed fish. Try packing leftovers the next day for lunch.
- 1/3 cup walnuts Add to list
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- Zest from one orange Add to list
- 1/2 cup orange juice Add to list
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg Add to list
- 4 cups cooked brown basmati rice Add to list
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries Add to list
- 1 Jonagold apple, cut into 1/4-inch pieces Add to list
- 3 stalks of celery, cut into 1/4-inch slices Add to list
- 5 or 6 pale green celery leaves, chopped Add to list
- 4 sprigs parsley, chopped Add to list
Roast the walnuts in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven for 5 to 7 minutes. Chop coarsely and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, orange zest, orange juice, vinegar, sea salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Mix well.
To this mixture, add the rice, cranberries, apple, celery, and celery leaves. Also add the parsley and chopped walnuts.
Toss all together until the salad is well-mixed.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor