Breathtaking Black Bean-Avocado Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 red onion, small dice Add to list
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 heaping tablespoon whole cumin seed, crushed or left whole Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile powder (see note) Add to list
- 1 to 2 cinnamon sticks Add to list
- 2 teaspoons salt Add to list
- 2 tablespoons Sucanat or other low-processed sugar Add to list
- 1 small to medium bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped Add to list
- 4 to 6 medium tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped Add to list
- 3 cans organic black beans, drained Add to list
- 4 cups vegetable stock Add to list
- 1 to 2 avocados, cubed Add to list
- Juice from 1 fresh lime Add to list
In heavy-bottomed soup pot, sauté onion until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, chipotle powder, cinnamon, salt, Sucanat and half of the cilantro. Sauté an additional 2 to 3 minutes until very fragrant, stirring often. Add tomatoes and beans. Sauté an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
Add stock and bring to a boil. Simmer gently for 10 to 15 minutes. For best results and creamier soup, blend a cup or two of beans and liquid and return back to pot.
Stir in avocado, lime juice and remaining cilantro. Season with salt and pepper and additional spices, if necessary.
Use less if you prefer milder soup. If the powder is unavailable use a whole dried chipotle pepper, soaked in hot water until soft, and minced.
Each serving: 270 cal, 10g fat (1.5g sat),0mg chol, 690mg sodium, 38g carb, 12g fiber, 11g protein
Recipe by, former PCC staff
Source: Sound Consumer February 2001
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »