Bread and Butter Refrigerator Pickles
Yield: about 1 quart
This quick and easy bread and butter pickle doesn’t require fancy equipment or a long processing time. Use a crinkle cutter for a fun texture on your pickle chips.
- 1 1/2 pounds cucumbers, sliced 1/4-inch thick Add to list
- 1/2 small sweet onion, thinly sliced Add to list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt Add to list
- 3/4 cup white vinegar Add to list
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar Add to list
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar Add to list
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar Add to list
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric Add to list
- A pinch of whole black peppercorns Add to list
Combine cucumbers, onions and salt in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Transfer cucumber mixture to a colander; rinse well. Gently pack cucumbers and onions into a clean canning jar.
Combine vinegars, sugars and spices in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring until sugar dissolves. Carefully pour liquid over cucumbers and onions, using a funnel to help prevent spilling. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate for 6 hours before eating. These may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Jar Sterilizing Instructions: Wash your jars, bands and lids in hot, soapy water. Place empty jars in a large pot and completely cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, and then boil for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave them in the hot water for up to 1 hour before filling.
Each serving: 40 cal, 0g fat (0g sat), 0mg chol, 360mg sodium, 10g carb, 0g fiber, 1g protein
Recipe by, PCC Chef