Braised Short Ribs with Smoked Paprika and Spanish Olives
Grab your favorite bottle of red wine to prepare (and drink alongside) these short ribs.
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 8 large beef short ribs Add to list
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed or other high-heat oil Add to list
- 1 large onion, diced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika (Pimenton) Add to list
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste Add to list
- 2 cups dry red wine (rioja, burgundy, zinfandel, syrah) Add to list
- 1 bay leaf Add to list
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef stock Add to list
- 1 cup sliced Spanish green olives Add to list
Salt and pepper the ribs and brown them in oil over medium-high heat in a heavy pot until well browned. Remove from the pot and set aside. Add onion and cook for 6 to 8 minutes until well cooked.
Add paprika and tomato paste; cook 1 to 2 minutes, being careful to not burn. Add wine and bay leaf and scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add stock and short ribs to the pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
Cook slightly covered (lid should be vented) for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until the meat is tender and falling from the bone. Add olives to the pot and adjust for salt and pepper.
Each serving: 550 cal, 33g fat (9g sat), 80mg chol, 820mg sodium, 11g carb, 3g fiber, 30g protein
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor