Braised Short Ribs with Smoked Paprika and Spanish Olives
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 8 large beef short ribs Add to list
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed or other high-heat oil Add to list
- 1 large onion, diced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika (Pimenton) Add to list
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste Add to list
- 2 cups dry red wine (rioja, burgundy, zinfandel, syrah) Add to list
- 1 bay leaf Add to list
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef stock Add to list
- 1 cup sliced Spanish green olives Add to list
Salt and pepper the ribs and brown them in oil over medium-high heat in a heavy pot until well browned. Remove from the pot and set aside. Add the onion and cook for 6 to 8 minutes until well cooked.
Add the paprika and tomato paste; cook 1 to 2 minutes, being careful to not burn. Add wine and bay leaf and scrape any browned bits from bottom of the pan. Add stock and short ribs to the pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
Cook slightly covered (lid should be vented) for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until the meat is tender and falling from the bone. Add olives to the pot and adjust for salt and pepper.
Each serving: 550 cal, 33g fat (9g sat), 80mg chol, 820mg sodium, 11g carb, 3g fiber, 30g protein
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »